Sunday, February 20, 2011

A camping trip to remember!

As I said in my last post...camping was not my first choice activity for our days off :) However, I was putting on my best face and trying to be positive. Then the rain started! And the 5 day forecast for Ouzoud was...
Monday - Sunny
Tuesday - Sunny
Wednesday - Heavy rain
Thursday - Heavy rain
Friday - Sunny
Why the universe was out to ruin our days off I wasn't sure. So we left rainy Casablanca and stopped for the night in rainy Beni Mallal. Since we arrived at night, we did not notice the mosque right down the street from our $5 a night hotel. We were startled awake by the call to prayer at 5:30am. We all had a good laugh and fell back to sleep. When morning actually came we packed up and headed for the waterfalls in Ouzoud. We saw the falls, started our hike, forged a river, and set up camp overlooking the river. Dinner time rolled around and our "guide" Tim asked us where our forks, bowls, and cups were. Keep in mind he had said to us..."When I'm with people who don't camp I tend to overcompensate and take care of everything." And since my camping experiences involved hot dogs, I hadn't thought to bring one. Simo saved the day by wittling away chopsticks for us! The rest of our evening in the wilderness involved someone peeing behind our tent, Amber and I mistaking her breathing for an animal, and rain leeking through the seams of our tent and dripping on Sarah's face :) In the morning we packed up camp and hiked back in the rain. I think it will be pretty hard to top this camping trip!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, wonderful "mother nature"! The same all over the world! Sometimes, she just likes to "rain on your parade, er camping trip"! Hopefully, she didn't put a "damper" on it & that you still had a good time!?

    ReplyDelete